Kulanjan / Lesser Galangal / Chitharathai-
This plant is called Sitharathai (Chitharathai)in Tamil, Lesser Galangal in English and Kulanjan in Hindi. Sitharathai's botanical name is Alpinia Officinarum. It is an important herb and we use the rhizome of this plant extensively in home remedies. In the Thai cuisine they use the fresh galangal root to add aroma to the dish. We don't use galangal in our regular cooking, we use it mainly in home remedies. We rarely use the fresh roots as it is not commonly available here in India, we use only the dried root or the powder. The list of medicinal uses of lesser galangal is quite long and very impressive. Here are the medicinal uses of Sitharathai | Kulanjan:
1. Sitharathai extract has anti microbial and antioxidant properties.
2. Another important use of sitharathai is it's preventing cancer activity, it helps prevent the growth of cancer cells, you can read the research that proves this use here.
3. Another interesting use of sitharathai is it's ability to suppress appetite thus aiding weight loss, this use also has been proven through research, you can read it here.
4. Sitharathai has anti inflammatory properties and helps reduce pain considerably, sitharathai decoction can be taken for treating all kinds of inflammations very very effectively.
5. Another important medicinal use of sitharathai is it's ability to treat all cold related problems like sore throat, cough and chest congestion. When we take the decoction of the dried root, it treats the all the above said problems very effectively.